When you or your loved one has decided to seek help for their for substance abuse and co-occurring mental disorder, one of the most important questions you have to answer is how can he get the appropriate level of care.
Seeking help from a good dual diagnosis treatment center can be the most important moment in one’s life as it can be a new way to develop self-reliance, awareness, and separation from the addiction you have gotten used to. These facilities not only take you away from the addictive environment that perpetuated your addiction but forces you to look back and contemplate on building a new and better life.
While there are a lot of effective dual diagnosis treatment programs for drug rehabilitation, looking for the right facility can be a daunting task. There are various considerations you have to keep in mind, but you have to understand that the effectivity and sustainability of the treatment program lie with no one else but you.
Why Dual Diagnosis Treatment is Important
The problem with people who has a co-occurring disorder is the greater possibility of having relapses. This is the main reason why your psychological disorder should be treated alongside your addiction. Top dual diagnosis treatment centers understand the bigger need to address both issues as one can be contributory to the other and having the existence of one problem would lead to a breakdown of the whole process.
It is also important to consider that your behavioral health was the primary element which was manipulated by your mental state and is the reason why you are suffering from drug and alcohol dependence. Simply being fixated on one problem would lead a myriad of other complications that would be harder to treat when it resurfaces.
There are a lot of effective treatment elements and being enrolled in one would be determined by your attending medical professional. Dual diagnosis treatments like CBT, Family therapy programs, individual and group counseling are all effective strategies that can be enforced during your recovery.
Finding the Appropriate Treatment
It is known for a fact that substance abuse and mental illnesses often occurs together. There are even more addicts who suffer from a mental illness than those who are suffering from addiction alone. Looking for the appropriate treatment facility can be hard because some would not accept patients with a serious psychological ailment while other centers do not have the expertise or experience with dual diagnosis.
Although it can be difficult, looking for the right treatment facility which caters to dual diagnosis can work effectively to treat people who suffer from several disorders. Top dual diagnosis treatment centers basically tailor fit their programs so it simultaneously treats the co-occurring disorder and addiction.
7 Ways to Help You Find the Right Dual Diagnosis Treatment Center
There are several factors that you have to consider when looking for the right treatment center. Among them would be the severity of your addiction, the focus of the treatment approach, the quality of care given and the ability of the treatment center to treat multiple disorders. You should also consider the cost of the program along with the location where the treatment would take place.
Here are 7 ways to help you find the appropriate dual diagnosis treatment center:
- Determine the type of treatment structure you need. Depending on the severity of your addiction and mental health, you can either opt for an inpatient or outpatient program. After care programs are also available for those in the midst of recovery.
- Choose a facility that specializes in your addiction and co-occurring condition. Before enrolling in a treatment center, it is best to find out if they specialize in the addiction that you have. Also, learn if they have the appropriate treatment program for the mental disorder that you have.
- Understand the treatment approach that they offer. Rehabs basically have their own treatment philosophies. Understand what it entails before you make that final decision.
- Do they offer aftercare programs? A good rehab will ensure that your ongoing recovery includes continues care after your completion of the initial program. This prevents the occurrence of relapses and establishes a solid recovery.
- Look for an accredited program with highly efficient certified staff. It is always necessary to look for a facility that is state accredited and has a program that is consistently backed by research. One which employs certified staff would prove to be helpful especially during the delicate withdrawal phase.
- Determine if they have a structured, comprehensive, and individualized treatment plan. As the causes of addiction can be diverse, it is important to have a treatment facility that not only has a structured and comprehensive treatment plan, but it should be tailored to the specific needs of the addicted person. Know if the prospective facility can cater to your individual needs before seeking help from them.
- Consider the staff-to-patient ratio. More staff means there are bigger chances of having a personalized care while having more patients than healthcare professionals means that you have to share your time with everyone else’s.